Monday, June 03, 2013

Kilcullen's pet shop girl

If she had her way Nancy Poulain wouldn't sell pets, writes Brian Byrne. Which might seem strange for the owner of a pet shop, but it's really because she loves her animals so much.

"I'm very picky about who I sell to. If I don't think someone is suitable as an owner of, for instance, one of my rabbits, I'll suggest they go somewhere else. It's not that I try to put people off, but I need to know they realise it's a commitment for several years."

Nancy set up Les Petits Pets in Kilcullen just a year ago, and from very small beginnings now has a business which offers just about everything a pet animal might require, as well as a range of pets from budgies to guinea pigs to rabbits.

Business offers everything a pet animal might requireShe also has a growing collection of reptiles and tortoises, but definitely won't sell them. "They are rescued," she says. "I keep them in proper conditions, and I'm planning to make them an attraction for people to come and see. Turtles are a big commitment, they can live for up to 45 years or more, and I'm hoping to use them to educate people, to show them what the little terrapins they buy will grow up to be in five years or more. To show them that they are not a toy."

Originally from Angers in the Loire region of France, Nancy has loved animals as long as she can remember. Before coming to Ireland a decade ago she worked in a pet shop in France, and for many recent years before opening her own business she worked in similar shops in Naas and in Newbridge.

"I lost my job because the business got so quiet," she says. "I was doing nothing, and so it was time to go out my own. I thought that I might as well try it, at least I would be doing something. Maybe it was crazy during a recession, but at least I knew the business I was going into."

The premises at the bottom of the hill in Kilcullen Lower had become available, one which she had had her eye on for some time, as she lives in Kilcullen with her partner and baby. "It's a building that you can't miss, and people are very happy that there's life in this end of the town."

In addition to selling pets and the various supplies and accessories they require, Nancy is a fount of information to her customers as to the best way to take care of them, and also to advise on whether what they're looking for will suit their needs and lifestyle. She is also involved in the Kildare West Wicklow SPCA, and regularly runs local fundraising events for the group's activities.

Nancy also tries to have something new or unusual available every couple of weeks, because she knows that is likely to bring people back. "I was looking at a picture taken when I opened first, and there was very little in the shop. Now it is full of stuff and I'm very happy. Every penny I make has gone back into making it better."

The most recent innovation started last week, with a grooming service, which Nancy expects will be very popular in time. It's for dogs and cats, and she's trying to do it at a reasonable price.

"It's a passion. I'll never make lots of money at this, but I wake up in the morning and I love to come in here."

This article was originally published on the Kilcullen page of the Kildare Nationalist.