Monday, January 05, 2015

Can we do something about motorway noise?

I am a local resident living in Kilcullen for over ten years, writes Richie Curry. I think this is a lovely quiet town, apart from one area, which has especially over the last few years tarnished the serenity of the local area.

The M9 with its much increased traffic volumes has moved from being a noticeable noise in the background, to a now growling and groaning beast that I can hear indoors, and when I venture outside it is far too loud for comfort.

I travel all through the country with work, and almost all of the new motorways/by passes/ring roads have excellent noise reduction barriers and fences, why has Kilcullen been forgotten in relation to this ?

I have been in contact with Martin Heydon who has raised this in the Dail, and still we have no outcome, is it time to start a local campaign to see what we can do? I wonder if there are any other people in the town thinking the same as myself?